5 Ways to Look Like an Organized Mom
Now that we are well in to February, I feel the need to talk about resolutions. Is it a good marketing strategy after everyone has already forgotten about and failed with their resolutions? Probably not but I never said I was any good at that. Actually, my thinking is that at this point you might need a little more of a push. Or if you’re like me you love the phrase “fake it ‘til you make it”. No clue who said that but they are words I live by. So, thanks whoever you are for giving me the strength to sometimes look like I know what I’m doing.
Was one of your resolutions to get your shit together, particularly your Mom shit? Mine was. Well, is. It has been every year since I became a Mom. I have learned a thing or two. Every year I do manage to become a little more organized than the last. I’m going to say it’s because I’m a smart cookie and not because I’m getting gray hair.
Want to practically fake it ‘til you make it too? Here are 5 ways to do it:
1. Keep a planner- Physical, phone, BUJO (bullet journal), a binder, whatever works for you. Someone once told me that if you write stuff down you’re more likely to remember it. Funny enough that has always stuck with me but it happens to be true in my experience. Keeping a planner will make you feel like you have your shit together, not forget to send in your kid’s field trip money, and it can even become a hobby. In the past I used a printed planner because that’s what they gave us to use in school. In the last year I’ve started using a new system that works a lot better for me. I use a dotted journal and create my own planner. It’s called bullet journaling and you can get as fancy with it as you want. I change it up. When I’m not feeling it or don’t have the time I jot down my to do list. I do write out my calendars but if you don’t want to do that you can also use your phone or a calendar/ task manager app.
2. Keep a running to do list- This isn’t to depress you, I promise. I know the list can be daunting and hard to look at with so much to do all the time. Try it out and see how it goes. Even keep it somewhere visible for your family to see it. This way they can see all you do and you can stay on top of things. It feels good to cross things off. If you keep it up you can even get some things done in advance. Making you look like a domestic goddess.
3. Keep cards handy- Ever get surprised by the date? WOAH! How is it already almost the end of January?! Shoot! That means it’s so-and-so’s birthday today. I totally forgot! Or, Oh crap I forgot to add the kid’s teachers to the holiday shopping list! No worries. Keep some greeting cards around for holidays, thank you’s, blanks, and birthdays. If you want to go the extra mile keep some gift cards or something equally easy to store and you’ll never have to scramble on those days again.
4. Do whatever you can the night before- This has taken me forever to fully put in to practice. Sometimes I still don’t do it and my life is pure chaos. I know you’re tired the night before, you’re tired every night. Trust me, I get it. I am exhausted jumping out of bed. Even if you set some clothes out or make sure bags are packed by the door, life gets a little easier. Then you have time for all the last-minute melt downs and lost whatever’s you have to deal with every morning.
5. Jump on the bandwagon- Netflix is brilliant with their timing on this show. See, these people know what they’re doing when it comes to marketing. I should take some lessons. Anyways, watch the Tidying up with Marie Kondo show on Netflix. I couldn’t get through the books and who has time to actually read something about cleaning? Ever seen those clean with me videos on Youtube that get you all motivated? This show will do that for you too but it will show you how. Plus, it is currently very trendy which makes you one of the cool moms.
How do you make yourself look like you’ve got your shit together? Are you sticking with your resolutions this year? Let me know in the comments below!